Government of West Bengal
No.1158-F(Y) Dated, Howrah, the 23rd February, 2017
Consequent upon demonetization by the Union Government in November, 2016 a large number of workers of our state mainly of unorganized sector working in other States outside West Bengal have lost their employment and where forced to return to West Bengal as jobless workers and are presently living in a pitiable condition.
- In order to provide some relief and enable labourers to start an alternative business/self-employment, the Governor is pleased to introduce a new scheme called “Samarthan”as detailed below.
- Samarthan :
- The new scheme called “Samarthan” will provide financial assistance to such labourers/ workers who have migrated back to the state, to enable them start an alternative business/self-employment scheme.
- The financial assistance in the form of One Time Grant of Rs.50, 000/- will be given to such a labourer/worker.
- The labourer/worker can take up any scheme from this fund, which will provide him a sustainable source of income,
- The detailed modalities of this Scheme are given bellow:
- Eligibility :
Any labourer/worker who is a permanent resident of West Bengal, working in other States, and was, compelled to return to State of West Bengal after 8th November, 2016 due to loss of job in that State, will be eligible for the assistance on fulfilment of following conditions –
- The worker/labourer is a bread-winner of the family,
- BDO in consultation with local police administration certifies that the applicant was actually working outside the state and has returned to the State after 8th November, 2016 due to loss of his job.
- The applicant must have an EPIC to prove that he is a permanent resident of West Bengal.
- Applicant must submit a copy of the passbook of any savings account of Post Office, Scheduled Commercial Banks, Co-operative Banks, Regional Rural Banks, etc. providing the Account details where the grant will be credited online.
- How to Apply :
Eligible candidates to submit an Application (as per enclosed Format – Annexure-B) alongwith the scheme he proposes to undertake.
- Processing and Approval :
- District Magistrate will make arrangements to invite / receive applications, inquire, process and recommend to Approval Committee.
- Approval Committee :
A Committee as given in “Annexure – A” under the Chairmanship of District Magistrate will select the beneficiaries.
- Nodal Department :
The Labour Department, Government of West Bengal will act as a Nodal Department for the implementation, monitoring and supervision of the scheme.
- Implementation :
Since the most affected districts by demonetization are – Purba Medinipur,Paschim Medinipur, Burdwan, Birbhum, Nadia, Murshidabad, Uttar Dinajpur, Dakshin Dinajpur, Cooch Behar and Howrah, in phase – I the Scheme will be implemented in these 10 districts.
In other districts, District Magistrates will assess the situation and numbers of affected persons and intimate Labour Department.
- Effective Date :
The Scheme will come into effect immediately.
Principal Secretary to the
Government of West Bengal
Download Main Order Click Here
ANNEXURE – A
|Sl. No.||Name of the District||Names of the persons|
|1.||Paschim Medinipur||1. District Magistrate
2. Shri Ajit Maity
3. Shri Nirmal Ghosh
|2.||Purba Medinipur||1. District Magistrate
2. Shri Sisir Adhikari
3. Shri Akhil Giri
|3.||Bardhaman||1. District Magistrate
2. Shri Deb Tudu
3. Shri Jiten Tiwari
|4.||Birbhum||1. District Magistrate
2. Shri Anubrata Mondal
3. Shri Manirul Islam
|5.||Nadia||1. District Magistrate
2. Shri Gouri Dutta
3. Shri Ujjal Biswas
|6.||Murshidabad||1. District Magistrate
2. Shri Mannan Hossain
3. Shri Soumik Hossain
4. Shri Amirul Islam
5. Shri Subrata Saha
|7.||Uttar Dinajpur||1. District Magistrate
2. Shri Ghulam Rabbani
3. 3.Shri Hamidul Rahaman
|8.||Dakshin Dinajpur||1. District Magistrate
2. Ms. Arpita Ghosh
3. Shri Biplab Mitra
|9.||Cooch Behar||1. District Magistrate
2. Shri Parthapratim Ray
3. Shri Udayan Guha
|10.||Howrah||1. District Magistrate
2. Shri Pulak Roy
3. Shri Broten Das
( Councillor 21 no. ward)